Posting your nonprofit job with the Philanthropy Journal is an easy, cost-effective way to fill your current job vacancies.
Find a Job
Choose from the menus below and click submit to display a listing of all available jobs matching your criteria.
Reporting directly to the President/Executive Director, the Development Director is a vital part of the executive leadership team, helping to make strategic decisions to guide the organization as well as communicate that direction externally. The Director will lead and build a comprehensive development team while maintaining his or her own portfolio of donors. Currently the team consists of 1.5 direct reports with the expectation of hiring an additional team member to prepare for growth. As the organization’s senior fundraiser, the Director will work in close partnership with the President/Executive Director, the Board of Directors, and the Fundraising Committee. The Director will be entrusted with the following key responsibilities:
- Responsible for building a philanthropic spirit among staff, board members, donors, and partners.
- Develop and drive the organization’s annual development plan in partnership with the President/Executive Director, board, and staff.
- Serve on the executive leadership team ensuring strong inter-department relations.
- Represent the mission, vision and values of the organization internally and externally.
- Responsible for the consistent flow of revenue to the organization, to support programs and activities through diverse and multi-faceted income streams.
- Oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of annual donor constituent groups including board, individuals, congregations, corporations, and foundations, utilizing staff and board for execution.
- Manage a personal portfolio of donors resulting in direct face to face solicitation.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate, foundation, individual donors and congregations.
- Develop and implement a formal stewardship plan to further engage donors and volunteers in the mission and show appreciation for their investments.
- Work with the team to conduct fundraising events to increase awareness, raise funds, and serve as an entry point to the organization.
- Oversee grants process and execution.
- Promote and develop planned giving opportunities among targeted individuals.
Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations
- Build upon the organization’s strong brand and reputation to increase awareness and engagement.
- Work with the communications point person to develop formal communications plans as part of the comprehensive, annual development plan.
- Share stories of impact to motivate volunteers, board members, donors, and partners in a way that inspires them to support the agency.
- Work to increase the organizations communication strategy online to compliment traditional communications and engage audiences.
- Actively engage in the community and serve as the face of the organization.
- Build a high functioning, collaborative development team that plays to the individual and collective strengths of the team.
- Foster a culture of teamwork and accountability throughout the team, developing staff members to their highest potential.
- Maintain a positive and healthy workplace culture that attracts, retains, and motivates high quality employees and volunteers.
- Establish annual working goals for development staff, conducting staff performance evaluations annually.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Development Director must be committed to the mission, vision and values of Greensboro Urban Ministry, and dedicated to creating and stewarding relationships with internal and external constituencies that enable the successful, consistent delivery of the mission. In addition, he or she should possess the following key attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- At least 8 years of proven leadership of a comprehensive fundraising program with successful face to face solicitations of planned and major ($25,000+) gifts.
- Leads with confidence and humility with experience building a collaborative team to reach annual goals.
- Ability to articulate, verbally and in writing, a passion for the mission of Greensboro Urban Ministry and the philanthropic opportunity that it provides.
- Professional demeanour with an ability to connect with individuals from all walks of life.
- Relationship manager with success in building relationships with teammates and members of the community who can personally invest, or who can influence individual, foundation, or corporate giving.
- Connector whose default is to engage the community to increase awareness of the organization.
- Success effectively working with a non-profit board of directors and fundraising committees.
- Change agent that accepts change is normal and thrives in that environment.
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge preferred and a solid understanding of the key role that data serves in creating development strategy.
- Previous experience developing and executing capital campaigns is favored.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with Greensboro Urban Ministry. To apply, upload a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email.