Posting your nonprofit job with the Philanthropy Journal is an easy, cost-effective way to fill your current job vacancies.
Find a Job
Choose from the menus below and click submit to display a listing of all available jobs matching your criteria.
Democracy North Carolina (Democracy NC) is a nonpartisan organization that uses organizing, research, and advocacy to protect the right to vote, reduce the influence of big money in politics, and advance fair representation in our state. For 25 years, this 501(c)3 nonprofit organization (and its predecessor, Democracy South) has taken on powerful institutions and political leaders, regardless of party, and promoted reforms that expand public involvement in the political process. Democracy NC is a preeminent voting rights organization in its state and region, and works closely and in coalition with reform-minded local, state, and national partners.
The Development Director is responsible for designing and implementing the organization’s fundraising strategy, including foundation grants, major donors, online and direct mail appeals, and events. The person holding this position will also be expected to develop new strategies to expand the organization’s donor base and overall giving, including by reaching a donor base that reflects the constituencies Democracy NC seeks to serve. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director and serves on the organization’s leadership team. The person holding this position will also be responsible for hiring and supervising a Development Associate who will report directly to them, and coordinating other staff and board members to assist with the strategies. The position is based in the organization’s Durham office.
Development Strategy and Execution: Sets development goals, targets, and strategies and implements an annual development plan accounting for grants, individual giving at all levels, online and mail solicitations, events, and more. Monitors metrics, as well as trends in the field of fundraising, and adapts strategies as needed.
Grants and Foundation Giving: Maintains the calendar of foundation grants and reports and leads grant writing and reporting processes with input from the executive director and program staff.
Major Donor Solicitation and Stewardship: Responsible for attracting, retaining, and cultivating major donors, including donor-advised funds. Coordinates the work of staff, board members, and other volunteers, to attract and steward major donors.
Donor Engagement: Develops and oversees a comprehensive engagement strategy to attract and retain individual donors, including integrating fundraising into organizational campaigns and activities.
Events: Manages fundraising events to attract and retain donors and oversees fundraising aspects of other events. Secures and manages relationships with event sponsors.
Fundraising Systems: Builds and maintains fundraising systems for the organization, including database and data integrity, acknowledgement systems, donor communications, reporting, and other systems and organizational habits as needed. Participates in the organization’s annual budgeting process.
Board and Staff Engagement: Engages Board of Directors and staff to expand the donor network and ensure that donors are connected to all aspects of the organization. Responsible for supporting and training the Board’s Development Committee.
Experience and Qualifications
● At least three years of experience planning, leading, and managing development in a nonprofit, with preference for advocacy-oriented nonprofits with budgets in the $2-3 million range.
● A record of successfully raising funds from national and state-based foundations through grant discovery, writing, and reporting. Experience in establishing, growing, and maintaining relationships with grant-giving institutions.
● A record of successfully raising funds from individual donors, including those that give $1000 or more, and through programs that engage donors at all levels.
Skills and Attributes
● Skills in establishing and cultivating strong relationships with foundations, donors, volunteers, and staff.
● Excellent writing skills and ability to create powerful and compelling written content for both foundation grants and other fundraising communications. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials.
● Aptitude and enthusiasm for strategic challenges that will involve building infrastructure for the development program, growing and diversifying the organization’s donor base, and integrating grassroots and other new strategies into fundraising planning.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and effectiveness in working with, and leading, a team to plan and achieve shared goals. Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects at once.
● A deep understanding of the importance and systems for tracking metrics.
● An entrepreneurial spirit that takes initiative and embraces creativity and innovation.
● Ability to travel and work some evenings and weekends.
● Commitment to Democracy NC’s mission and values, including race and gender equity in the workplace; ability and willingness to work with diverse groups, including low-income North Carolinians, people of color, and residents of varying political ideologies; and in diverse settings, including both rural and urban environments.
This is a permanent full-time position with salary range of $65,000 - $80,000 depending on experience.
Send cover letter, resume, and two writing samples related to fundraising to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled. Subject line should read “Development Director Position” coupled with your name. No phone calls please.